021: WannaCry - Who's to blame?
About This Episode
The WannaCry ransomware has struck! But before we tackle that subject, and who we should blame for one of the highest profile malware attacks for years, we discuss how HP has been unwittingly capturing the keystrokes of its laptop users. Then we briefly discuss what might be the worst cinema date in history, before rounding things off with a discussion of hackers extorting money out of movie studios.
All this and more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by special guest Paul "Pob" Baccas.
- Hello to Jason Isaacs - Witterpedia.
- Unintended/Covert Storage Channel for sensitive data in Conexant HD Audio Driver Package - modzero Security Advisory.
- HP responds to laptop keylogger fiasco, promises ‘fix shortly' - Trusted Reviews.
- Tweet from @__ths__ - Twitter.
- Backin Up Song - YouTube.
- The Sobig Worm - Wikipedia.
- Customer Guidance for WannaCrypt attacks - Microsoft.
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010 - Microsoft.
- Microsoft: WannaCry outbreak reveals why governments shouldn't hoard vulnerabilities - Graham Cluley.
- ‘THIS IS CRAZY’: Austin man sues date for texting during movie - Statesman.
- Hackers Seem to Dump Pirates of the Caribbean on Torrent Sites Ahead of Premiere - Softpedia.
Graham Cluley - @gcluley
Carole Theriault - @caroletheriault
Paul Baccas - @pobicus
Thanks to our sponsor:
This episode of Smashing Security is made possible by the generous support of Recorded Future - the real-time threat intelligence company whose patented machine learning technology continuously analyzes technical, open, and dark web sources to give organizations unmatched insight into emerging threats.
Sign up for free daily threat intelligence updates at recordedfuture.com/intel
Thanks to Recorded Future for their support.
Follow the show:
Remember: Subscribe on iTunes or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!