Just how did sextortionists get (some) of the digits in your phone number? Why are some hackers saying they won't be going to DEF CON in Las Vegas anymore? And should Alex Jones from InfoWars be banned from Twitter?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by special guest Maria Varmazis.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Maria Varmazis.
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- MetaCompliance: People are the key to minimizing your Cyber Security risk posture. MetaCompliance makes this easier by providing a single platform for Phishing, Cybersecurity training, Policy, Privacy and Incident management.
Go to smashingsecurity.com/metacompliancePromo Code: SMASHING
- The Podcast Awards – The People’s Choice
- Sex extortion emails now quoting part of their victim’s phone number
- New Extortion Tricks: Now Including Your (Partial) Phone Number!
- In post-massacre Vegas, security policies clash with privacy values
- Katie Moussouris tweets about her Las Vegas hotel experience
- Video Shows Hotel Security at DEF CON Joking About Posting Photos of Guests’ Belongings to Snapchat
- Google Spectre whizz kicked out of Caesars, blocked from DEF CON over hack ‘attack’ tweet
- Open letter to the Hacker Community from DEF CON’s Head of Security
- Alex Jones banned from YouTube, Facebook, and Apple, explained
- Facebook, Apple, YouTube and Spotify ban Infowars’ Alex Jones
- Now even YouPorn has banned Alex Jones, but he’s still on Twitter
- Twitter temporarily blocks Alex Jones from tweeting
- The Twitter Rules
- Giving social networking back to you – The Mastodon Project
- Charlottesville: Why one man is suing Alex Jones for defamation
- Shannon Coulter tweets about blocking Fortune 500 companies until Alex Jones is banned from Twitter
- lichess.org – Free Online Chess
- Magnus Carlsen playing as Dr Drunkenstein – YouTube
- Octopath Traveler for Nintendo Switch
- Alex Jones Rants as an Indie Folk Song – YouTube
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)