Fitness apps exploit TouchID through a sneaky user interface trick, tech giants claim to have a plan to banish passwords, and you won't believe who was behind a sextortion scam that targeted over 400 members of the US military.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by ferret-loving ethical hacker Zoë Rose.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
- Military criminal investigative organizations crack down on sextortion ring targeting service members — NCIS.
- Scam iOS apps promise fitness, steal money instead — WeLIveSecurity.
- Mastercard, Microsoft to Advance Digital Identity Innovations — Mastercard press release.
- China's Surveillance State Should Scare Everyone — The Atlantic.
- Mastercard and Microsoft to jointly develop universal digital ID technology — IT Pro.
- A Victorian point and click adventure game — Bertram Fiddle.
- Bertram Fiddle: A Bleaker Predicklement Trailer — YouTube.
- Oura Ring sleep and activity tracker.
- Learn how Oura ring works.
- Marriott warns of hack. 500 million Starwood hotel guests' personal data could be exposed — Graham Cluley.
- Marriott breach: What to do when hackers steal your passport number — CNet.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)