Why a business spat resulted in Liberia falling off the internet, how the US Government shutdown is impacting website security, and the perplexing world of extreme IoT devices.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Zoë Rose.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Zoë Rose.
- Boxcryptor: Boxcryptor encrypts your sensitive files and folders in Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and many other cloud storages. It combines the benefits of the most user friendly cloud storage services with the highest security standards worldwide. Encrypt your data right on your device before syncing it to the cloud providers of your choice.
- Listeners can get a 40% discount on the Boxcryptor Personal License (private use) and Boxcryptor Business (perfect for self-employed) by visiting smashingsecurity.com/boxcryptor
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
- But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
- Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Mirai Botnet DDoS (Sky News) — YouTube.
- Massive Cyber Attack Knocks Out Access To Websites (CNBC) — YouTube.
- Download the Mirai source code, and you can run your own IoT botnet — Graham Cluley.
- The makers of the Mirai IoT-hijacking botnet are sentenced — Tripwire State of Security.
- Danny Kaye — Wikipedia.
- “Wonderful Copenhagen” — Danny Kaye from the movie “Hans Christian Andersen”.
- International hacker-for-hire jailed for cyber attacks on Liberian telecommunications provider — National Crime Agency.
- Courts Hand Down Hard Jail Time for DDoS — Krebs on Security.
- Liberian ISP sues rival for hiring hacker to attack its network — ZDNet.
- .gov security falters during U.S. shutdown — Netcraft.
- TLS Certificates for Many .gov Domains Not Renewed Due to Government Shutdown — Security Week.
- These ‘extreme baby monitors’ claim to track your child’s breathing, heartbeat and every movement — MarketWatch.
- Fisher-Price’s wearable baby monitor is an unreliable rash machine — Engadget.
- Threema – Seriously secure messaging.
- Africa by Toto to play ‘for all eternity’ in Namib desert — YouTube.
- Africa by Toto to play on eternal loop ‘down in Africa’ — BBC News.
- “The Brain: The Story of You” by David Eagleman — Amazon.
- “The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure” by Greg Lukianoff — Amazon.
- How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus — The Atlantic.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)