A FaceTime bug allows callers to see and hear you before you answer the phone, Facebook's Nick Clegg tries to convince us the social network is changing its ways, and IoT hacking is big in Japan.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by John Hawes from AMTSO.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: John Hawes.
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
Boxcryptor encrypts your sensitive files and folders in Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and many other cloud storages. It combines the benefits of the most user friendly cloud storage services with the highest security standards worldwide. Encrypt your data right on your device before syncing it to the cloud providers of your choice.
Listeners can get a 40% discount on the Boxcryptor Personal License (private use) and Boxcryptor Business (perfect for self-employed) by visiting smashingsecurity.com/boxcryptor
- Smashing Security on Reddit.
- Apple has a huge privacy ad at CES 2019 — CNBC.
- Apple races to fix FaceTime bug that lets you spy on someone *before* they pick up your call — Graham Cluley.
- Tweet about teen who found FaceTime issue — Tweet from MGT7.
- iPhone Facetime Hack (EMBARRASSING!) Caught Slippin — YouTube (NSFW).
- A discussion with Nick Clegg — Facebook Brussels.
- Facebook pledges to do more on self-harm — BBC News.
- World Happiness Report — Wikipedia.
- 2020 Olympics: Japanese chains scrap porn magazines — BBC News.
- Japan’s Cybersecurity Strategy (PDF).
- Govt. to access home devices in security survey — NHK.
- Japan plans to hack into millions of its citizens’ connected devices — MIT Technology Review.
- Alphaville – Big In Japan (Official Music Video) — YouTube.
- Teletext — YouTube.
- Teletext generator — Teletext the World.
- The teletext versions of Graham, Carole, and John Hawes — Twitter.
- Cosmic Eye — YouTube.
- Putting Time In Perspective — Wait But Why.
- Cows: Small Or Far Away? | Father Ted — YouTube.
- Jonathan Pie’s American Pie — BBC Three.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)