WannaCry’s “accidental hero” pleads guilty to malware charges, Samsung and Nokia have fingerprint fumbles, the NCSC publishes a list of 100,000 dreadful passwords, and Apple finds itself at the centre of an identity mix-up.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: John Hawes.
- MetaCompliance: People are the key to minimizing your Cyber Security risk posture. MetaCompliance makes this easier by providing a single platform for Phishing, Cybersecurity training, Policy, Privacy and Incident management.
- Go to smashingsecurity.com/metacompliance Promo Code: SMASHING
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
- But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
- Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- “Gents! Stop airdropping your pics!” — Smashing Security episode 038, where we discussed the arrest of Marcus Hutchins.
- Marcus Hutchins plea agreement — PDF
- Statement from Marcus Hutchins (aka MalwareTech)
- “Stick to the good side.” — Marcus Hutchins on Twitter.
- The Samsung Galaxy S10’s ultrasonic fingerprint scanner is hacked — Graham Cluley.
- Video of Nokia 9’s fingerprint sensor failure — Decoded Pixel on Twitter.
- Nokia 9 buggy update lets anyone bypass fingerprint scanner with a pack of gum — ZDNet.
- Most hacked passwords revealed as UK cyber survey exposes gaps in online security — NCSC.
- Facebook hoovered up 1.5 million users’ email contacts without permission… “unintentionally” — Graham Cluley.
- Facebook: we logged 100x more Instagram plaintext passwords than we thought — Naked Security.
- Second Payment Services Directive (PSD2): 8 things businesses needs to know — Information Age.
- Teen sues Apple over accusations of Apple Store thefts — 9to5Mac
- Student Sues Apple for $1 Billion, Blames Face-Recognition Tech for False Arrest — Insurance Journal.
- Thunderbirds – 50th Anniversary Specials — Century 21 films
- Thunderbirds 1965 – Documentary — YouTube.
- Clash Royale: Enter the Arena.
- Oxfordshire Artweeks.
- Details of Carole and John’s exhibition — Oxfordshire Artweeks.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)