WannaCry's “accidental hero” pleads guilty to malware charges, Samsung and Nokia have fingerprint fumbles, the NCSC publishes a list of 100,000 dreadful passwords, and Apple finds itself at the centre of an identity mix-up.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: John Hawes.
- MetaCompliance: People are the key to minimizing your Cyber Security risk posture. MetaCompliance makes this easier by providing a single platform for Phishing, Cybersecurity training, Policy, Privacy and Incident management.
Go to smashingsecurity.com/metacompliancePromo Code: SMASHING
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- “Gents! Stop airdropping your pics!” — Smashing Security episode 038, where we discussed the arrest of Marcus Hutchins.
- Marcus Hutchins plea agreement — PDF
- Statement from Marcus Hutchins (aka MalwareTech)
- “Stick to the good side.” — Marcus Hutchins on Twitter.
- The Samsung Galaxy S10’s ultrasonic fingerprint scanner is hacked — Graham Cluley.
- Video of Nokia 9’s fingerprint sensor failure — Decoded Pixel on Twitter.
- Nokia 9 buggy update lets anyone bypass fingerprint scanner with a pack of gum — ZDNet.
- Most hacked passwords revealed as UK cyber survey exposes gaps in online security — NCSC.
- Facebook hoovered up 1.5 million users’ email contacts without permission… “unintentionally” — Graham Cluley.
- Facebook: we logged 100x more Instagram plaintext passwords than we thought — Naked Security.
- Second Payment Services Directive (PSD2): 8 things businesses needs to know — Information Age.
- Teen sues Apple over accusations of Apple Store thefts — 9to5Mac
- Student Sues Apple for $1 Billion, Blames Face-Recognition Tech for False Arrest — Insurance Journal.
- Thunderbirds – 50th Anniversary Specials — Century 21 films
- Thunderbirds 1965 – Documentary — YouTube.
- Clash Royale: Enter the Arena.
- Oxfordshire Artweeks.
- Details of Carole and John’s exhibition — Oxfordshire Artweeks.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)