A bad software update causes big headaches for Dutch police, but brings temporary freedom to criminals. SIM swaps are in the news again as fraudsters steal millions. And does your cloud photo storage service have a dirty little secret?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Rip Off Britain's David McClelland.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/128 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: David McClelland.
- Gartner: Gartner’s Security & Risk Management Summit, running from June 17-20 2019 in National Harbor, Maryland, is the premier cybersecurity conference for CISOs, IT Security & Risk Professionals. Get the latest unbiased research and advice on cyber attacks, and emerging technologies including AI, blockchain, machine-learning and more.
Visit smashingsecurity.com/gartner to find out more. Smashing Security listeners can save $350 off the standard registration rate by using the code “SMASHING”. Promo Code: SMASHING
- Recorded Future: For anyone who is baffled by threat intelligence, and the benefits that it can bring to your company, this is the book for you.
“The Threat Intelligence Handbook” is an easy-to-read guide will help you understand why threat intelligence is an essential part of every organisation’s defence against the latest cyber attacks.
Download it for free at smashingsecurity.com/intelligence
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Vote for Smashing Security in the EU Security Blogger Awards
- Software update crashes police ankle monitors in the Netherlands — ZDNet.
- Irishman facing more than 100 years in US prison for alleged $2.5m cryptocurrency fraud — Independent.ie
- U.S. investor awarded $75 million in cryptocurrency crime case — Reuters.
- The SIM Swap Fix That the US Isn’t Using — Wired.
- Everalbum Photo Organizing App — YouTube.
- Facial recognition’s ‘dirty little secret’: Millions of online photos scraped without consent — NBC News.
- Everalbum Review — Good Housekeeping.
- OverSimplified — YouTube.
- CGP Grey — YouTube.
- The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained — YouTube.
- BBC One – Rip Off Britain, Series 11, Episode 3 — BBC iPlayer.
- All The Stations.
- Get a Spine! — This American Life.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)