Don’t hire a hacker, they might scam you! What works and what doesn’t when it comes to protecting your email account? And China’s controversial social credit system comes under the microscope.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Maria Varmazis.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/129 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Maria Varmazis.
- MetaCompliance: People are the key to minimizing your Cyber Security risk posture. MetaCompliance makes this easier by providing a single platform for Phishing, Cybersecurity training, Policy, Privacy and Incident management.
- Go to smashingsecurity.com/metacompliance Promo Code: SMASHING
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
- But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
- Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Vote for Smashing Security in the EU Security Blogger Awards
- “How to hack a Facebook account…” – how on earth to answer? — Graham Cluley.
- Hack for Hire: Exploring the Emerging Marketfor Account Hijacking — Report from University of California, San Diego and Google.
- Google research: Most hacker-for-hire services are frauds — ZDNet.
- New research: How effective is basic account hygiene at preventing hijacking — Google Online Security Blog.
- The complicated truth about China’s social credit system — Wired.
- China bans 23m from buying travel tickets as part of ‘social credit’ system — The Guardian.
- Is China’s social credit system as Orwellian as it sounds? — MIT Technology Review.
- Opinion: Why India needs to be wary of China-style social credit ratings — LiveMInt.
- Mihail Tal vs. Vassily Smyslov // Sacrificial Maniac vs. Positional Maestro — YouTube.
- Outray Chess — YouTube.
- What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine — A documentary film produced by 455 Films.
- DS9 Doc Heads To Uk & Ireland – List of Locations — TrekSphere.
- Joe Rogan — Wikipedia.
- Tesla’s Elon Musk smokes weed on Joe Rogan podcast, havoc ensues – Vox — Vox.
- Faux Rogan — Can you tell which are real or fake (Faux Rogan)?
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)