United States Customs and Border Protection had sensitive data stolen, but the hackers didn’t have to breach its network. Apple has ambitious plans to make iPhone users safer online. And trolls are using Twitter lists to target their victims.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the MULTI-AWARD-WINNING “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by special guest Maria Varmazis.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/132 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Maria Varmazis.
- Edgewise Networks: Edgewise is the industry’s first zero-trust segmentation platform. It’s simple to use interface lets you stops data breaches by allowing only verified software to communicate within your cloud or data centre. Edgewise’s data-centric approach makes micro-segmentation simpler and more secure.
- Learn more and get a free trial at edgewise.net.
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
- But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
- Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Smashing Security named the Best Security Podcast — Graham Cluley.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection says photos of travelers into and out of the country were recently taken in a data breach — Washington Post.
- Maker of US border’s license-plate scanning tech ransacked by hacker, blueprints and files dumped online — The Register.
- US border cops confirm: Maker of America’s license-plate, driver recognition tech hacked, camera images swiped — The Register.
- Tweet from Sam Soffes.
- Apple previews iOS 13 — Apple.
- Sign In with Apple human user interface guidelines — Apple.
- How trolls use Twitter lists to target and harass other users — CNBC.
- Trolls get tricky on Twitter with targeted harassment lists — Kim Komando.
- 10 hours worth of the original Firestorm TV series (Japanese, with English subtitles) — YouTube.
- Gerry Anderson’s Firestorm Exclusive FULL Minisode — YouTube.
- Gerry Anderson’s Firestorm — A brand new science fiction series from the creator of Thunderbirds (or, more precisely, his son).
- AITA — Reddit.
- Ecosia – the search engine that plants trees.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)