Capital One gets hacked, critical vulnerabilities are found in iMessage, and data anonymization may not be as good as we hope. But listen up, we also discuss the Legend of Zelda, a biography of tech giants, offer advice for escaping an angry moose, and are introduced to... Penelope?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole 'Penelope' Theriault, joined this week by technology broadcaster David McClelland.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/139 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
- Woman arrested after Capital One hack spills personal info on 106 million — Tripwire.
- South Seattle woman arrested, charged in massive data breach of Capital One — The Seattle Times.
- Love Bug suspect speaks — BBC News speaks to the author of the Michael-B Word macro virus.
- United States vs Paige A Thompson (PDF)
- Ranji Sinha on Twitter: "Managed to get video of the raid in Seattle that lead to the arrest of Paige Thompson" — Twitter.
- Capital One Hit With First Class Action Over Security Breach — Bloomberg.
- Google reveals fistful of flaws in Apple's iMessage app — BBC News.
- Google researchers disclose vulnerabilities for 'interactionless' iOS attacks — ZDNet.
- Earn up to $200,000 as Apple *finally* launches a bug bounty — Graham Cluley.
- Look, No Hands! -- The Remote, Interaction-less Attack Surface of the iPhone — Black Hat USA 2019
- Your Data Were ‘Anonymized’? These Scientists Can Still Identify You — New York Times.
- Estimating the success of re-identifications in incomplete datasets using generative models — Nature.
- Hackers breach FSB contractor, expose Tor deanonymization project and more — ZDNet.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild — Wikipedia.
- Steve Jobs book by Walter Isaacson — Simon & Schuster
- The Innovators by Walter Isaacson — Simon & Schuster
- What knowledge might save your life one day? — Reddit.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)