Should Google really be helping the FBI with a bank robbery? What’s the story behind the Twitter CEO claiming there’s a bomb in their offices? And how much does your car really know about you?
And we mourn the loss of Doctor Who legend Terrance Dicks…
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by technology journalist Geoff White.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/144 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Geoff White.
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
- But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
- Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Detectify: Detectify will run over 1500 security tests against your website, identifying real problems with a list of constantly updated vulnerabilities submitted by a global network of over 150 handpicked ethical hackers.
- Go hack yourself! Take a 14-day free trial at smashingsecurity.com/detectify
- Feds ordered Google location dragnet to solve Wisconsin bank robbery — The Verge.
- Google reverse location search warrant.
- Manhattan DA Got Innocent People’s Google Phone Data Through A ‘Reverse Location’ Search Warrant — Gothamist.
- Jorge Molina: Avondale police used Google data to wrongfully arrest me — AZCentral.
- About the Twitter CEO ‘@jack hack’ — Graham Cluley.
- Trump says it ‘shouldn’t be too bad’ if someone hacks his Twitter — Business Insider.
- Chuckle Brothers — Wikipedia.
- Wipe Data From Your Car Before Selling It — Consumer Reports.
- Connected Cars, Telematics and Connectivity-as-a-Service : What’s the Future? — Dataconomy.
- It looks like tech-savvy drivers will have to lead connected car data purge — The Register.
- It’s too easy to steal a second‑hand connected car — We Live Security.
- Doctor Who writer Terrance Dicks dies, aged 84 — Radio Times.
- Terrance Dicks inspired me to write – and not to feel ashamed of my stammer — New Statesman.
- Terrance Dicks obituary — The Guardian.
- On The Outside It Looked Like An Old Fashioned Police Box… — A radio documentary about the Doctor Who novelisations, many of which were written by Terrance Dicks.
- Cybercrime Investigations podcast — Features some chap called Geoff White.
- Elisabeth Schwarzkopf’s appearance on the BBC’s Desert Island Discs, 1958 — Where she chooses seven of her own songs.
- Intelligence Squared podcast.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)