Remember how the City of Baltimore was badly hit by ransomware earlier this year? Turns out that wasn’t the end of their problems. Also, Carole takes a look at how smart speakers can be hacked to trick you into giving criminals your passwords or even credit card details. And we discuss the findings of the LastPass global password security report.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, with a featured interview with Rachael Stockton from Logmein.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/151 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Rachael Stockton.
- Code42: Code42 provides data loss protection for when employees quit. 60% of employees who quit their jobs admit to taking data. Your organization’s data is more portable than ever and you have employees leaving everyday. Most organizations rely on prevention but there are simply too many ways for data to leave.
- To learn more about how to protect your company’s data from insider threats visit www.code42.com/smashing
- Immersive Labs: Immersive Labs provides the world’s first fully interactive, on-demand, and gamified cyber skills platform.
- Try it for free at immersivelabs.com/lite/ and drive down your organisation’s cyber risk while reducing training costs.
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
- But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
- Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Support Smashing Security on Patreon — Now also includes free stickers!
- RobbinHood ransomware attack brings down parts of City of Baltimore’s computer network — Tripwire.
- Some Baltimore City Services Still Shut Down Due To Ransomware Attack — YouTube.
- Baltimore government could have lost its website last week. And not because of hackers — Baltimore Brew.
- Baltimore transfers $6 million to pay for ransomware attack; city considers insurance against hacks — Baltimore Sun.
- Baltimore IT department uses ‘mind-boggling,’ outdated data storage method, audit finds
- Councilman “mind-boggled” by Baltimore City IT department ineptitude — Ars Technica.
- The City Of Baltimore Blew Off A $76,000 Ransomware Demand Only To Find Out A Bunch Of Its Data Had Never Been Backed Up — Techdirt.
- “Backin Up” by The Gregory Brothers — YouTube.
- Smart Spies: Alexa and Google Home expose users to vishing and eavesdropping — Security Research Labs.
- Zoomquilt 2.
- Arkadia Zoomquilt.
- Historia Civilis — YouTube.
- 2019 Global Password Security Report — LastPass.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)