What's the problem with IoT-enabled pet feeders? Can hacking ever be illustrated without a hoodie? And just how are landlords using smart home technology to snoop upon their residents?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by technology journalist and broadcaster David McClelland.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/152 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: David McClelland.
- Immersive Labs: Immersive Labs provides the world’s first fully interactive, on-demand, and gamified cyber skills platform.
Try it for free at immersivelabs.com/lite/ and drive down your organisation’s cyber risk while reducing training costs.
- Code42: Code42 provides data loss protection for when employees quit. 60% of employees who quit their jobs admit to taking data. Your organization’s data is more portable than ever and you have employees leaving everyday. Most organizations rely on prevention but there are simply too many ways for data to leave.
To learn more about how to protect your company’s data from insider threats visit www.code42.com/smashing
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Security researcher gets access to all Xiaomi pet feeders around the world — ZDNet.
- Xiaomi crowdfunds the Furrytail Pet Smart Feeder with app control for 199 yuan ($28) — Gizmochina.
- How to say Xiaomi — BBC News.
- Xiaomi Furrytail Boss Cat Bed — YouTube.
- Remember that competition for non-hoodie hacker pics? Here’s their best entries — The Register.
- Cybersecurity visuals challenge finalist catalog (PDF)
- SmartRent – Smart Apartment Solutions.
- Smart home tech can help evict renters, surveillance company tells landlords — CNet.
- SmartRent funding heralds new wave in ‘smart home’ market — Reuters.
- Sci-fi interfaces.
- Did Stanley Kubrick invent the iPad? — BFI.
- Factfulness: Ten Reasons We’re Wrong About The World – And Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans Rosling — Amazon.
- The Joy of Stats, Hans Rosling’s 200 countries, 200 years, 4 minutes — BBC Four.
- Joe Rogan Experience #1368 – Edward Snowden — YouTube.
- Joe Rogan Edward Snowden Podcast Interview Transcript: Rogan Spends Almost 3 Hours Interviewing Snowden.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)