We discuss how Microsoft Word helped trap a multi-million dollar fraudster, how Amazon Ring may be recording more than you’re comfortable with, and how teens are flocking to TikTok (and why that might be a problem).
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/160 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Maria Varmazis.
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
- But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
- Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Senior Manager Of Global Internet Company Pleads Guilty To Wire Fraud — Department of Justice.
- IT exec sets up fake biz, uses it to bill his bosses $6m for phantom gear, gets caught by Microsoft Word metadata — The Register.
- We Tested Ring’s Security. It’s Awful — Motherboard.
- Amazon Ring isn’t even good at pretending to care about your privacy and safety — Fight for the Future
- Amazon’s Ring to let customers opt out of receiving police video requests — GeekWire.
- Letter to Amazon’s Jeff Bezos from Senator Ron Wyden and others (PDF).
- House panel asks Apple, Google if app makers must reveal foreign ties — Engadget.
- U.S. Military Bans TikTok Over Ties to China — Wall Street Journal.
- The Growing Popularity of Chinese Social Media Outside China Poses New Risks in the West — PIIE.
- Statement on TikTok’s content moderation and data security practices — TikTok.
- Revealed: how TikTok censors videos that do not please Beijing — The Guardian.
- Parents warned to check kids’ phones for 15 popular apps used by paedos and bullies to target youngsters — The Sun.
- Dracula — BBC iPlayer.
- Dracula — Netflix.
- Obsessed With… – Dracula – Episode 1: The Rules of the Beast feat. Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat — BBC Sounds.
- Dracula TV series — Wikipedia.
- The Witcher — Netflix.
- The Witcher Soundtrack – Toss A Coin To Your Witcher Lyrics — YouTube.
- Ricky Gervais 2020 Golden Globe Monologue — Reddit.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)