Wi-Fi hopping malware, the return of Ashley Madison extortion scams, and should social media be doing anything about cheapfakes?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Jessica Barker.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/165 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Jessica Barker.
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
- But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
- Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Smashing Security #162: Robocalls, health hacks, and facial recognition fears — Carole talks about the activities of Clearview AI.
- The Daily: The End of Privacy as We Know It? — Apple Podcasts.
- Emotet Malware Advisory — US Department of Homeland Security.
- Emotet Wishes You a Merry Christmas from Greta Thunberg — Proofpoint.
- Coronavirus – hackers exploit fear of infection to spread malware — Graham Cluley.
- Emotet evolves with new Wi-Fi spreader — Binary Defense.
- Dear Ashley Madison user, I know everything about you. Pay up or else — Ars Technica.
- Here’s what an Ashley Madison blackmail letter looks like — Graham Cluley.
- Nancy Pelosi rips up Trump’s speech after divisive State of the Union address — The Guardian.
- Tweet by Dan Scavino Jr.
- Video of Pelosi brings renewed attention to ‘cheapfakes’ — AP News.
- Tool to Help Journalists Spot Doctored Images Is Unveiled by Jigsaw — The New York Times.
- Smashing Security #143: Hacking from outer space, Ukrainian cryptomining, and deepfaked Canadians.
- First survey of its kind for 50 years finds most Americans still think they have above average intelligence — Research Digest.
- Grumpy Website.
- The Courage to Be Disliked: The Japanese Phenomenon That Shows You How to Change Your Life and Achieve Real Happiness — Amazon.
- Sophie’s World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy — Amazon.com.
- Fake Heiress – The woman who scammed New York — BBC Radio Four.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)