We’re in celebratory mood as we celebrate our 200th episode, but there’s still time to discuss Fatima the ballerina who the UK government wants to become a cybersecurity expert, why women are quitting the tech industry, and a smartwatch which might be putting your kids at risk.
Plus don’t miss our featured interview with Mimecast’s Michael Madon.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Maria Varmazis.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/200 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guests: Maria Varmazis and Michael Madon.
- Mimecast: Mimecast’s State of Email Security 2020 report helps you understand the most pervasive threats and how they attack organizations at their email perimeters, from inside the organization (through compromised accounts, vulnerable insiders, social engineering), or beyond the organization’s perimeters (the domains they own and their brands via impersonation).
- Grab your copy at smashingsecurity.com/mimecasthub
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
- But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
- Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Immersive Labs: Immersive Labs delivers hands-on, challenge-based training and exercises to make your team ready to fight real-world threats.
- Check out their free ebook all about the MITRE ATT&CK framework, and how you can use it as part of your cyber skills strategy and improve your security posture by identifying weaknesses.
- Go to immersivelabs.com/smashing
- Join us on the Smashing Security LIVE STREAM! — We’ll be live at 8pm UK Thursday 15 October (3pm Eastern).
- Fury over Government campaign suggesting ballet dancer could retrain in cyber security — London Evening Standard.
- Dying swan or lame duck? Why ‘Fatima’ the ballerina’s next job was tripping up the government — The Guardian.
- “For those worried about Fatima she’s almost certainly not called Fatima and almost certainly will never work in cyber. The image is from a US photographer based in Atlanta, Georgia.” — Ciaran Jenkins on Twitter.
- The Vocabularist: How we use the word cyber — BBC News.
- Resetting Tech Culture: 5 strategies to keep women in tech (PDF) — Accenture and Girls Who Code.
- Exposing covert surveillance backdoors in children’s smartwatches — Mnemonic.
- Undocumented backdoor that covertly takes snapshots found in kids’ smartwatch — Ars Technica.
- Introducing the Xplora GO — YouTube.
- Commerce Department to Add Two Dozen Chinese Companies with Ties to WMD and Military Activities to the Entity List — U.S. Department of Commerce.
- Skribbl — Free Multiplayer Drawing & Guessing Game.
- Hades — Super Giant Games.
- Sticky Pickles — A new podcast by Carole Theriault and Anna Brading.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)