Students are being spied on as they do online exams, how did a televised football match reveal the truth about artificial intelligence, and what on earth is the Canny Lumpsucker vulnerability?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Thom Langford from The Host Unknown podcast.
Plus don't miss the second part of our featured interview with LastPass's Dalia Hamzeh.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/203 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guests: Dalia Hamzeh and Thom Langford.
- Kroll: Rapidly detecting a threat is meaningless without the ability to respond with confidence. Kroll responds to over 2,000 cyber incidents every year and is uniquely positioned to bring that capability and expertise 24×7 with Responder. Kroll Responder merges hunting, detection, containment and remediation to deliver best-in-class endpoint security.
See how Responder works at smashingsecurity.com/kroll
- Mimecast: Mimecast’s State of Email Security 2020 report helps you understand the most pervasive threats and how they attack organizations at their email perimeters, from inside the organization (through compromised accounts, vulnerable insiders, social engineering), or beyond the organization’s perimeters (the domains they own and their brands via impersonation).
Grab your copy at smashingsecurity.com/mimecasthub
- LastPass: LastPass Enterprise simplifies password management for companies of every size, with the right tools to secure your business with centralized control of employee passwords and apps.
But, LastPass isn’t just for enterprises, it’s an equally great solution for business teams, families and single users.
Go to lastpass.com/smashing to see why LastPass is the trusted enterprise password manager of over 33 thousand businesses.
- Vulnonym: Stop the Naming Madness! — Carnegie Mellon University Software Engineering Institute.
- Vulnonym — A bot generating names for CVE IDs.
- Thrangrycat — Not better known as 😾😾😾.
- Soccer match ruined when AI-controlled camera mistakes ref’s bald head for ball — SB Nation.
- Students Are Rebelling Against Eye-Tracking Exam Surveillance Tools — Motherboard.
- Proctorio sues UBC staff member for tweets sharing ‘confidential’ information about the software — The Ubyssey.
- ProctorU confirms data breach after database leaked online — Bleeping Computer.
- Proctorio CEO releases student’s chat logs, sparking renewed privacy concerns — The Ubyssey.
- Some news about proctoring at the University of Calgary — Reddit.
- My wife has proctored (webcam monitored) online classes. We live in a studio apartment, so I’m relegated to the bathroom. Rate my setup. — Reddit.
- How Many Potatoes Does It Take To Run DOOM? — YouTube.
- Raspberry Pi 400: the $70 desktop PC.
- Raspberry Pi 400: New All-in-One Pi! — YouTube.
- All Tilted Room Sketches — Shaun Micallef on YouTube.
- The Goes Wrong Show – Series 1: 6. 90 Degrees — BBC iPlayer.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)