We take a look at why Peloton is being accused of ransomware-like behaviour, how one man lost $250,000 in a romance scam, and how a chap called Weiner has found himself in a political pickle.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Host Unknown’s Andrew Agnês.
Plus we have a featured interview with KnowBe4 expert Roger Grimes. Don’t miss it!
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/233 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guests: Andrew Agnês and Roger A Grimes.
- 1Password: Around 80% of business data breaches result from weak or reused passwords. Using 1Password can close the gaps in your company’s security, combat shadow IT, and help your employees stay both productive and secure, wherever they are.
- 1Password makes the secure thing to do the easiest thing to do.
- Instant control, effortless management. Quickly deploy 1Password to a single team, multiple teams, or your entire enterprise. Provision employees using trusted systems, respond quickly to domain breach reports, and offer every business user a free 1Password Families account for work-from-home security.
- Find out more and try 1Password free for 14 days at 1Password.com
- JumpCloud: JumpCloud’s Directory Platform makes it easier to solve today’s IT challenges by unifying device and user management through a single pane of glass.
- With JumpCloud securely managing your users and their devices, doing common things like onboarding and offboarding remote workers is easy.
- Try JumpCloud for free today at smashingsecurity.com/jumpcloud and help your organization move to a modern, secure hybrid work model.
- KnowBe4: Did you know that 91% of successful data breaches started with a spear phishing attack?
- Find out what percentage of your employees are at risk with KnowBe4’s free phishing security test.
- Plus, see how you stack up against your peers with the new phishing industry benchmarks.
- Find out more at knowbe4.com/freetest
- CPSC Warns Consumers: Stop Using the Peloton Tread+ — CPSC
- Peloton Tread+ Treadmill Safety Incident — YouTube.
- Peloton Recalls Tread+ Treadmills After One Child Died and More than 70 Incidents Reported — CPSC.
- Peloton Recalls Tread Treadmills Due to Risk of Injury — CPSC.
- Tread Lock — Peloton support.
- Peloton Tread owners now forced into monthly subscription after recall — Bleeping Computer.
- Is Your Peloton Spinning Up Malware? — McAfee.
- A fake wedding, and a $250,000 scam — BBC News.
- Romance fraud advice — Action Fraud.
- OnlyFans, Twitter ban users for leaking politician’s BDSM video — Bleeping Computer.
- Statement by Zack Weiner — Twitter.
- Anthony Weiner documentary trailer — YouTube.
- Blue — Joni Mitchell.
- Timekettle Voice Language Translator.
- Finders Keepers trailer — YouTube.
- Finders Keepers (2015 film) — Wikipedia.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)