Spy software known as Pegasus has been used to carry out surveillance on the smartphones of journalists, activists, and political leaders. Can a “Freedom Phone” be trusted? And a ransomware-hit law firm demonstrates how not to keep its customers informed.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Thom Langford.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/237 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Thom Langford.
- KnowBe4: Did you know that 91% of successful data breaches started with a spear phishing attack?
- Find out what percentage of your employees are at risk with KnowBe4’s free phishing security test.
- Plus, see how you stack up against your peers with the new phishing industry benchmarks.
- Find out more at knowbe4.com/freetest
- Offensive Security: With the skills gap increasing, it’s more important than ever to train your staff effectively and efficiently. Industry-leading Offensive Security provides training for your organization designed by the same minds behind Kali Linux and the OSCP.
- Visit smashingsecurity.com/offsec to learn more!
- 1Password: Around 80% of business data breaches result from weak or reused passwords. Using 1Password can close the gaps in your company’s security, combat shadow IT, and help your employees stay both productive and secure, wherever they are.
- 1Password makes the secure thing to do the easiest thing to do.
- Instant control, effortless management. Quickly deploy 1Password to a single team, multiple teams, or your entire enterprise. Provision employees using trusted systems, respond quickly to domain breach reports, and offer every business user a free 1Password Families account for work-from-home security.
- Find out more and try 1Password free for 14 days at 1Password.com
- The Pegasus project — The Guardian.
- Revealed: leak uncovers global abuse of cyber-surveillance weapon — The Guardian.
- Pegasus: NSO clients spying disclosures prompt political rows across world — The Guardian.
- Pegasus: Spyware sold to governments ‘targets activists’ — BBC News.
- Revealed: murdered journalist’s number selected by Mexican NSO client — The Guardian.
- Forensic Methodology Report: How to catch NSO Group’s Pegasus — Amnesty International.
- Mobile Verification Toolkit (MVT) — Forensic tool to look for signs of infection in smartphone devices.
- Freedom Phone.
- MAGA World’s ‘Freedom Phone’ Actually Budget Chinese Phone — Daily Beast.
- Hacker Fantastic on Twitter.
- Finnish therapy clinic’s CEO fired after despicable data breach and blackmail threats — Graham Cluley.
- Campbell Conroy & O’Neil Provides Notice of Data Privacy Incident – — Campbell Conroy & O’Neil.
- They were competitive eaters. Then they fell in love — Wired.
- Brickit: Rebuild your Lego.
- Central Park — Apple TV.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)