Facebook suffers a massive (and very public) failure, Britain announces plans for counter-attacking nation states in cyberspace, and there’s a tragic story related to ransomware.
And don’t miss our featured interview with Attivo Network’s Carolyn Crandall.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/246 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guests: Carolyn Crandall and Chris Kirsch.
- 1Password: 1Password has put its 15 years of security experience into creating 1Password University, a fun, dynamic, and free learning resource for people of all skill levels.
- Broaden your knowledge, starting with the basic building blocks of security. Learn at your own pace and learn how to create form an entire ecosystem of tools and tactics that help keep you safe on the internet.
- Whether you’re a business leader looking to create a culture of security in the workplace, or you’re just trying to understand why you need a unique password for each account, 1Password University’s growing catalogue of courses has something for you.
- Visit 1Password University for free online security resources, made for everyone.
- Attivo Networks: It’s time to get serious about preventing and detecting credential abuse, privilege escalation, and entitlement exposures.
- Attivo Networks gives you visibility on identity exposures, vulnerabilities, and attack paths from endpoints to Active Directory to the cloud – all while creating an active defense, delaying and derailing attacks, empowering the defender and eliminating an attacker’s advantage.
- Learn more and kick credential attacks to the curb, by visiting attivonetworks.com
- Update about the October 4th outage — Facebook Engineering.
- More details about the October 4 outage — Facebook Engineering.
- Facebook Whistleblower Says Company Chooses ‘Profits Over Safety’ All The Time — Vice.
- Inside Facebook’s Push to Defend Its Image — The New York Times.
- Conspiracy Theories About Facebook Outage Spread Even Without Facebook — Vice.
- Facebook outage: what went wrong and why did it take so long to fix after social platform went down? — The Guardian.
- A Hospital Hit by Hackers, a Baby in Distress: The Case of the First Alleged Ransomware Death — Wall Street Journal.
- Baby’s Death Alleged to Be Linked to Ransomware — Threatpost.
- US unites 30 countries to disrupt global ransomware attacks — Bleeping Computer.
- Interpol urges police to unite against ‘potential ransomware pandemic’ — Bleeping Computer.
- More than 20,000 arrests in year-long global crackdown on phone and Internet scams — Interpol.
- Lancashire partners welcome NCF to the North West — Lancashire Enterprise Partnership
- National Cyber Force to be based in Samlesbury — BBC News.
- I Expect You To Die — Schell Games.
- Midnight Mass — Netflix.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)