A game about Squid Game pulls the rug from under cryptocurrency investors in what appears to be a scam, PayPal hackers use a devious trick to break into 2FA-protected accounts, and have you received a job offer that’s too good to be true?
All this and much much more is discussed in this celebratory edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Dr Jessica Barker.
Plus don’t miss our featured interview with the CEO and president of Qualys, Sumedh Thakar.
Oh, and huge thanks to Darknet Diaries’ Jack Rhysider, F-Secure’s Mikko Hyppönen, The Cyberwire’s Dave Bittner, and Host Unknown’s Andrew Agnês, Thom Langford, and Javvad Malik for their special contributions to this episode.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/250 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guests: Andrew Agnês, Dave Bittner, Jack Rhysider, Javvad Malik, Jessica Barker, Mikko Hyppönen, Sumedh Thakar, and Thom Langford.
- Qualys: Qualys Security Conference 2021 is taking place in Las Vegas November 15-18 2021, and you can attend either in person or online.
- Hear from experts such as Chris Krebs, former Director of the DHS & CISA, learn strategies and tactics to secure your organization, and network with your peers and other Qualys experts to accelerate your career.
- To learn more about attending the Qualys Security Conference 2021 in person or online visit smashingsecurity.com/qualyslasvegas
- 1Password: From start-up to enterprise, 1Password makes it easy for your team to store, generate and share strong passwords. The less time you need to spend dealing with hacks, phishing scams, and lost passwords, the better.
- Not just for IT and Security teams – all kinds of teams like Finance, HR, Legal, and Marketing can also store and share business credit cards, sensitive documents and shared logins in 1Password.
- Work securely from home or in the office. 1Password allows secure access to logins and important resources anywhere you work.
- Instantly deploy, grant and revoke access to shared vaults. You can securely add new team members and recover locked-out user accounts.
- Find out more and try 1Password free for 14 days at 1Password.com
- Squid Game cryptocurrency rockets in first few days of trading — BBC News.
- Squid Game crypto token collapses in apparent scam — BBC News.
- ‘I Lost Everything’: How Squid Game Token Collapsed — CoinMarketCap.
- Squid Game Cryptocurrency Scammers Make Off With $3.3 Million — Gizmodo.
- The Booming Underground Market for Bots That Steal Your 2FA Codes — Vice.
- Scammers Are Using Fake Job Ads to Steal People’s Identities — ProPublica.
- FBI Warns Cyber Criminals Are Using Fake Job Listings to Target Applicants’ Personally Identifiable Information — FBI.
- Don’t let job scams block your path forward — FTC Consumer Information.
- Pit — Wikipedia.
- Pit game description — Board Game Geek.
- Metal Shop Masters — Netflix.
- Metal Shop Masters trailer — YouTube.
- Techjunkie Tools.
- 15 Secret Websites — Alphr.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)