A Russian bank tells its customers to stop installing security updates, an Apple employee ends up in hot water, and learn our tips to avoid being virtually kidnapped.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/267 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Anna Brading.
- Kolide: At Kolide, we believe the supposedly Average Person is the key to unlocking a new class of security detection, compliance, and threat remediation. So do the hundreds of organizations that send important security notifications to employees from Kolide’s Slack app.
- Collectively, we know that organizations can dramatically lower the actual risks they will likely face with a structured, message-based approach. More importantly, they’ll be able to engage end-users to fix nuanced problems that can’t be automated.
- Try Kolide Free for 14 Days; no credit card required.
- Drata: Is your organization finding it difficult to achieve compliance and scale its security posture? As G2’s highest rated cloud compliance software, Drata streamlines your SOC 2, ISO 27001, PCI DSS, GDPR & HIPAA compliance and provides 24-hour continuous control monitoring so you focus on scaling securely. Drata is also the only compliance automation platform with a private tenant database. That’s like having your cake and securing it too
- Countless security professionals from companies including Notion, FullStory, & BambooHR have shared how crucial it has been to have Drata as a trusted partner in the compliance process.
- Listeners of Smashing Security can get 10% off Drata and waived implementation fees at smashingsecurity.com/drata
- Smashing Security 263: Problèmes de Weefeee, AI artists, and Web 3.0 — In which Mark Stockley discusses the NFT he created in Smashing Security’s honour.
- Graham or Carole? – Untitled Collection #173407394 — OpenSea.
- Mark Stockley reveals the Smashing Security NFT is being resold… for $3 million — Twitter.
- Секрет Шехерезады. Яхта Путина за 75 000 000 000 ₽ — YouTube (best watched with the subtitles on…)
- ‘Mysterious’: the $700m superyacht in Italy some say belongs to Putin — The Guardian.
- “The road from Moscow to Kyiv passes through Belgravia” — Video from Led By Donkeys, posted on Twitter.
- Burger King owner says operator in Russia refuses to shut shops — The Guardian.
- Pitcairn Islands relays most spam per person, reveals Sophos — Sophos.
- Pitcairn spam haven, North Korea definitely isn’t — The Guardian.
- Sabotage: Code added to popular NPM package wiped files in Russia and Belarus — Ars Technica.
- Activists are targeting Russians with open-source “protestware” — MIT Technology Review.
- After ‘protestware’ attacks, a Russian bank has advised clients to stop updating software — The Verge.
- Irish petrol station offers 24-7 laundry service — Petrol Plaza.
- Clip from Mel Gibson movie “ransom”, starring Mel Gibson — YouTube.
- FBI warns of ‘virtual kidnapping’ scheme executed on Miami couple — Local 10.
- FBI Chicago Warns Public About Virtual Kidnapping Scams — FBI.
- Former Employee Charged With Defrauding Apple, Money Laundering, And Tax Crimes — Department of Justice.
- U.S. charges former Apple buyer with defrauding more than $10 million from company — Reuters.
- Mandy — BBC iPlayer.
- Diane Morgan as Mandy — YouTube.
- Heardle — The daily musical intros game.
- Color wheel, a color palette generator — Adobe Color.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)