Pulchritudinous women with glossy long hair are targeting Israeli officials via Facebook – but why? Scammers have found a new way to gain access to your most sensitive information – but how? And armchair detectives are helping investigating cold cases involving DNA – but should they?
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/270 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Maria Varmazis.
- Kolide: Kolide is a SaaS app that sends employees important, timely, and relevant security recommendations concerning their Mac, Windows, and Linux devices, right inside Slack.
- Kolide is perfect for organizations that want to move beyond a traditional lock-down model and move to one where employees are educated about security and device management while fixing nuanced problems. We call this approach Honest Security.
- You can try Kolide on an unlimited number of devices with all its features for free and without a credit card for 14 days.
- Keeper Security: Keeper Security’s enterprise password management platform locks down logins, payment cards, confidential documents, API keys, and database passwords in a patented Zero-Knowledge encrypted vault. And, it takes less than an hour to deploy across your organization.
- Sign up for a Keeper free trial for your organization today, and get a free 3-year personal plan, at keepersecurity.com/smashing
- How Barbie’s body size would look in real life — Daily Mail.
- Operation Bearded Barbie: APT-C-23 Campaign Targeting Israeli Officials — Cybereason.
- Hackers Gaining Power of Subpoena Via Fake “Emergency Data Requests” — Brian Krebs.
- What we know about the increase in U.S. murders in 2020 — Pew Research Center.
- The History of DNA: From Crime Scenes to Consumer Goods — University of West Florida.
- How an Unlikely Family History Website Transformed Cold Case Investigations — The New York Times.
- DNA Databases Are Boon to Police But Menace to Privacy, Critics Say — PEW.
- Philanthropists Push Police Searches of DNA Databases — The New York Times.
- Help solve crimes with your DNA — DNASolves.
- Hackers Attacked Two Leading Genetic Genealogy Websites — BuzzFeed.
- How to Pronounce Moët & Chandon? And WHY?! — YouTube.
- How to Pronounce Wednesday? (CORRECTLY) — YouTube.
- Julien Miquel on YouTube.
- Support Maria Varmazis as she raises money for Cancer Research — Pan-Mass Challenge.
- The House (2022 film) — Wikipedia.
- The House — Netflix.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)