A man loses $650,000 from his cryptocurrency wallet after his Apple iCloud account is hacked, video conferencing apps may not be muting your mic quite the way you imagined, and Google has unblurred military bases in Russia… or has it?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by The Cyberwire’s Dave Bittner.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/271 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Dave Bittner.
- NetFoundry: NetFoundry’s OpenZiti is an open source, free and easy way for the world to embed zero trust networking into anything.
- Embed SDKs inside your app, tunnelers to run on all major operating systems, or deploy an Edge Router for any cloud.
- No networking engineering skills required. No more pain of inbound ports, VPNs, complex firewall rules, public DNS, and more.
- Learn more and try it for yourself at netfoundry.io/smashingsecurity/
- Kolide: At Kolide, we believe the supposedly Average Person is the key to unlocking a new class of security detection, compliance, and threat remediation. So do the hundreds of organizations that send important security notifications to employees from Kolide’s Slack app.
- Collectively, we know that organizations can dramatically lower the actual risks they will likely face with a structured, message-based approach. More importantly, they’ll be able to engage end-users to fix nuanced problems that can’t be automated.
- Try Kolide Free for 14 Days; no credit card required.
- Domenic Iacovone on Twitter.
- Learn A Geordie Accent – Newcastle Accent Tutorial — YouTube.
- Serpent explains the scam on Twitter.
- How an Apple iCloud Exploit Lost a Crypto Trader Over $650K — CNET.
- MetaMask advises its users to check their iCloud backup settings — Twitter.
- Scam message received by Graham from his niece’s Instagram account.
- 19 Places On The Planet Google Earth Is Hiding From You — Travel Triangle.
- Google denies Ukrainian reports it unblurred satellite Maps imagery in Russia — The Verge.
- Buran shuttle — Google Maps.
- ‘Mute’ button in conferencing apps may not actually mute your mic — Bleeping Computer.
- You’re muted — or are you? Videoconferencing apps may listen even when mic is off — University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Gerry Anderson: A Life Uncharted — BritBox.
- Gerry Anderson: A Life Uncharted trailer — YouTube.
- Bloodline — Netflix.
- Succession — HBO.
- Succession review – brilliant dissection of a dysfunctional dynasty — The Guardian.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)