A hacked university might have made a profit after paying a cryptocurrency ransom, China suffers possibly the biggest data breach in history, and Reuters investigates digital mercenaries.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by The Cyberwire’s Dave Bittner.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
- Dutch university paid $220,000 ransom to hackers after Christmas attack — Graham Cluley.
- Remarkable development in investigation into Maastricht University cyberattack — Maastricht University.
- Dutch University profits from returned ransomware payment — The Register.
- Favorable exchange rate on a fake cryptoexchange — Kaspersky.
- Tweet from @cz_binance about mega-leak.
- Vast Cache of Chinese Police Files Offered for Sale in Alleged Hack — Wall Street Journal.
- How mercenary hackers sway litigation battles — Reuters.
- Countering hack-for-hire groups — Google.
- The business of hackers-for-hire threat actors — TechRepublic.
- Fransdita Muafidin on Instagram.
- Giant Cats Disturbing Civilization — Geeks are sexy.
- Watch Good Luck to You, Leo Grande — Hulu.
- Good luck to you Leo Grande (Trailer) — YouTube.
- This is Love podcast.
- Cain’s Jawbone — Wikipedia.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Bitwarden – Password security you can trust. Bitwarden is an open source password manager trusted by millions of individuals, teams, and organizations worldwide for secure password storage and sharing.
Support the show:
You can help the podcast by telling your friends and colleagues about “Smashing Security”, and leaving us a review on Apple Podcasts or Podchaser.
Become a Patreon supporter for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.