An AI chatbot is causing a stir – both impressing and terrifying users in equal measure. A security researcher discovers that a “smart” cam that doesn’t use the internet is err.. using the internet. And university students revolt over under-the-belt surveillance.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Host Unknown’s Thom Langford.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
- While anticipation builds for GPT-4, OpenAI quietly releases GPT-3.5 – TechCrunch.
- OpenAI upgrades GPT-3, stunning with rhyming poetry and lyrics – Ars Technica.
- GPT-3.5 finds a security vulnerability – Twitter.
- Mind-Blowing examples of OpenAI ChatGPT for Security, Infosec & Hacking – YouTube.
- OpenAI’s new ChatGPT bot: 10 dangerous things it’s capable of – Bleeping Computer.
- What GPT-3.5 really thinks about us humans – Twitter.
- We asked GPT-3.5 to write a story about the “Smashing Security” hosts – Twitter.
- GPT-Chat – OpenAI.
- Researcher Paul Moore questions Eufy about its privacy – Twitter.
- Eufy’s “local storage” cameras can be streamed from anywhere, unencrypted – Ars Technica.
- Eufy privacy statement – Eufy.
- ‘NO’: Grad Students Analyze, Hack, and Remove Under-Desk Surveillance Devices Designed to Track Them – Vice.
- Max Von Himmel Twitter Feed – Twitter.
- It’s Not Science, Just Surveillance (and it’s Under Your Desk) – TWC newsletter.
- Northeastern University – Northeastern University homepage.
- Space Management Platform – Spaceti homepage.
- Twitter is going great!
- Pennyworth – IMDB.
- BBC Maestro.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Drata – Put Security and Compliance on Autopilot. Build trust with your customers and scale securely with Drata, the smartest way to achieve continuous SOC 2, ISO 27001 & HIPAA compliance.
- Bitwarden – Password security you can trust. Bitwarden is an open source password manager trusted by millions of individuals, teams, and organizations worldwide for secure password storage and sharing.
- Kolide – the SaaS app that sends employees important, timely, and relevant security recommendations concerning their Mac, Windows, and Linux devices, right inside Slack.
Support the show:
Become a Patreon supporter for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.