AI-generated voices are weaponised by online trolls, how ChatGPT reflects who we are as a society, and social media is in the firing line again.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by The Cyberwire’s Dave Bittner.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
- ‘Disrespectful to the Craft:’ Actors Say They’re Being Asked to Sign Away Their Voice to AI – Vice.
- AI-Generated Voice Firm Clamps Down After 4chan Makes Celebrity Voices for Abuse – Vice.
- Video Game Voice Actors Doxed and Harassed in Targeted AI Voice Attack – Vice.
- ChatGPT Can Be Broken by Entering These Strange Words, And Nobody Is Sure Why – Vice.
- My Strange Day With Bing’s New AI Chatbot – Wired.
- We asked ChatGPT to write performance reviews and they are wildly sexist (and racist) – Fast Company.
- How social media affects teen mental health: a missing link – Nature.
- California bill to let parents sue social media gets second try – Bloomberg.
- How to protect children from big tech companies – Wall Street Journal.
- Three out of four parents say social media is a major distraction for students, according to new study – Phys.org.
- Remarks of President Joe Biden – State of the Union address as prepared for delivery – The White House.
- Why the past 10 years of American life have been uniquely stupid – The Atlantic.
- Now Mesa public schools are also declaring that they have failed in educating their children by suing social media – Techdirt.
- Seattle school district files laughably stupid lawsuit against basically every social media company for… ‘being a public nuisance’ – Techdirt.
- The evidence just doesn’t support any of the narratives about the harms of social media – Techdirt.
- Vasectomy – NHS.
- Birth of BASIC documentary – YouTube.
- Zero Waste Club reusable coffee filter – Peace with the Wild.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Bitwarden – Bitwarden vaults are end-to-end encrypted with zero-knowledge encryption, including, the URLs for the websites you have accounts for. Migrate to Bitwarden for a more secure password manager.
- DigiCert – DigiCert’s Trust Lifecycle Manager sets a new bar for unified management of digital trust.
- SecurEnvoy – With growing cyber security threats everyone in your organisation needs multi-factor authentication tailored to their specific access needs and the risk profile of their role. Check out SecurEnvoy’s free guide now.
Support the show:
Tell your friends and colleagues about “Smashing Security”, and leave us a review on Apple Podcasts or Podchaser.
Become a supporter via Patreon or Apple Podcasts for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!
Follow us on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or Mastodon, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, and visit our website for more episodes.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.