World-chess-champion-turned-activist Garry Kasparov joins us as we discuss celebrity lookalikes, smartphone fleeceware, the impact Coronavirus is having on security, and how a popular new video game is being used for political ends.
Yes, the Garry Kasparov. Graham was pretty excited too.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/174 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
- Don’t let fleeceware sneak into your iPhone — Sophos.
- Fleeceware apps persist on the Play Store — Sophos.
- Fleeceware apps discovered on the iOS App Store — ZDNet.
- How to see or cancel subscriptions on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch — Apple Support.
- How to cancel, pause, or change a subscription on Google Play — Google Play Help.
- Global Move to Telecommute Work Increases Security Risks — Voice of America.
- Cybercriminals impersonate World Health Organization to distribute fake coronavirus e-book — Malwarebytes.
- Animal Crossing.
- The Vegan Guide to 'Animal Crossing: New Horizons' — PETA Kids.
- Chinese gamers decorate Animal Crossing with propaganda and Covid-19 references — Abacus.
- Nintendo game pulled from Chinese platforms after Hong Kong protest — Reuters.
- Animal Crossing removed from sale in China amid Hong Kong protests — BBC News.
- Animal Crossing game removed from sale in China over Hong Kong democracy messages — The Guardian.
- Retirement day fighter jet ride ends in chaos after OAP pulls ejector seat lever — Daily Star.
- Extraordinary Times: A COVID-19 Visual Journal — Maria Photinakis.
- French air investigation report.
- Coronavirus: 20 suspected phone mast attacks over Easter — BBC News.
- Coronavirus: Scientists brand 5G claims 'complete rubbish' — BBC News.
- The Weirdly Enduring Appeal of Weird Al Yankovic — The New York Times.
- The Daily: The Sunday Read: Weird Al Yankovic’s Weirdly Enduring Appeal — Apple Podcasts.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)