Why are students faking their own kidnappings? What's the story behind Garmin's ransomware attack? And a genetic genealogy website suffers a hack or two.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/189 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
- Tribe of Hackers Podcast.
- Golden State Killer pleads guilty to 13 murders — BBC News.
- Joseph James DeAngelo — Wikipedia.
- Hackers Attacked Two Leading Genetic Genealogy Websites — Buzzfeed News.
- GEDmatch confirms data breach after users’ DNA profile data made available to police — TechCrunch.
- Garmin outage caused by confirmed WastedLocker ransomware attack — Bleeping Computer.
- Charges Announced in Malware Conspiracy — FBI.
- Garmin staggers back online after ransomware attack — Graham Cluley.
- Coronavirus: China warns students over 'risks' of studying in Australia — BBC News.
- Chinese students in Australia targeted in virtual kidnapping scam — BBC News.
- Chinese students in Australia are being targeted in kidnapping scams, police warn — South China Morning Post.
- Chinese Students in Australia Are Faking Their Own Kidnappings. Here’s Why — Vice.
- Doomsday Algorithm — Just in case you didn't understand Ray's explanation...
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)