A ransomware gang has exploited a security hole in software used by many businesses, and are demanding $70 million for a decryption tool. Plus we take a close look at TikTok, and a website which seems to have entirely ripped-off Twitter.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by technology journalist and author Chris Stokel-Walker.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/235 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
- REvil ransomware rampages following Kaseya supply-chain attack — Graham Cluley.
- Swedish Coop supermarkets shut due to US ransomware cyber-attack — BBC News.
- Kaseya CEO Fred Voccola Addresses Cyberattack and Next Steps for VSA Customers — YouTube.
- Kaseya Responds Swiftly to Sophisticated Cyberattack, — Press release.
- Up to 1,500 businesses affected by ransomware attack, U.S. firm's CEO says — Reuters.
- TikTok's Underlying Tech Is About to Go on Sale — Business Insider.
- This Is How TikTok Sends User Data to China — Business Insider.
- TikTok insiders say Chinese parent ByteDance is in control — CNBC.
- “Happy July 4th!” from Mark Zuckerberg — Instagram.
- Team Trump quietly launches new social media platform — Politico.
- Pro-Trump social media app hacked on launch day as half million sign up — Reuters.
- Pro-Trump social media site Gettr hacked — CNET.
- The Trump Team’s New Social Media Platform Is Already Flooded With Hentai — Mother Jones.
- Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse — Revolution Software.
- This Is a Robbery: The World's Biggest Art Heist — Netflix.
- Passenger List — Radiotopia.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)