A ransomware gang has exploited a security hole in software used by many businesses, and are demanding $70 million for a decryption tool. Plus we take a close look at TikTok, and a website which seems to have entirely ripped-off Twitter.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by technology journalist and author Chris Stokel-Walker.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/235 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Chris Stokel-Walker.
- Privacy.com: Privacy.com lets you buy things online using virtual cards instead of having to use your real ones, protecting your identity and bank information on the internet. Right now, new customers will automatically get $5 to spend on their first purchase. Go to privacy.com/smashing to sign up now.
- 1Password: Did you know that almost two thirds of all IT workers admit to reusing enterprise secrets between different projects, creating a potential gateway for attackers?
1Password’s new research report, “Hiding in Plain Sight”, reveals the breadth and depth of mismanaged business secrets like code, passwords, credentials, and keys, and that secrets (mis)management is the next big cybersecurity threat.
Learn more by reading the full report at 1password.com/resources
- KnowBe4: Did you know that 91% of successful data breaches started with a spear phishing attack?
Find out what percentage of your employees are at risk with KnowBe4’s free phishing security test.
Plus, see how you stack up against your peers with the new phishing industry benchmarks.
Find out more at knowbe4.com/freetest
- REvil ransomware rampages following Kaseya supply-chain attack — Graham Cluley.
- Swedish Coop supermarkets shut due to US ransomware cyber-attack — BBC News.
- Kaseya CEO Fred Voccola Addresses Cyberattack and Next Steps for VSA Customers — YouTube.
- Kaseya Responds Swiftly to Sophisticated Cyberattack, — Press release.
- Up to 1,500 businesses affected by ransomware attack, U.S. firm’s CEO says — Reuters.
- TikTok’s Underlying Tech Is About to Go on Sale — Business Insider.
- This Is How TikTok Sends User Data to China — Business Insider.
- TikTok insiders say Chinese parent ByteDance is in control — CNBC.
- “Happy July 4th!” from Mark Zuckerberg — Instagram.
- Team Trump quietly launches new social media platform — Politico.
- Pro-Trump social media app hacked on launch day as half million sign up — Reuters.
- Pro-Trump social media site Gettr hacked — CNET.
- The Trump Team’s New Social Media Platform Is Already Flooded With Hentai — Mother Jones.
- Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse — Revolution Software.
- This Is a Robbery: The World’s Biggest Art Heist — Netflix.
- Passenger List — Radiotopia.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)