Ransomware attackers have got hurt feelings, what does Netflix know about you, and why are schoolkids stealing lavatory seats?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by 1Password’s Matt Davey from the “Random but Memorable” podcast.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/249 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: “Vinyl Memories” by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guest: Matt Davey.
- Thinkst: Most companies discover they’ve been breached way too late. Thinkst Canary fixes this: just 3 minutes of setup; no ongoing overhead; nearly 0 false positives, and you can detect attackers long before they dig in. Go to canary.tools to find out why its Physical, VM and Cloud Based Canaries are deployed and loved on all 7 continents…
- Listeners who mail in referencing Smashing Security get a 10% discount on their order!
- 1Password: 1Password has put its 15 years of security experience into creating 1Password University, a fun, dynamic, and free learning resource for people of all skill levels.
- Broaden your knowledge, starting with the basic building blocks of security. Learn at your own pace and learn how to create form an entire ecosystem of tools and tactics that help keep you safe on the internet.
- Whether you’re a business leader looking to create a culture of security in the workplace, or you’re just trying to understand why you need a unique password for each account, 1Password University’s growing catalogue of courses has something for you.
- Visit 1Password University for free online security resources, made for everyone.
- Governments turn tables on ransomware gang REvil by pushing it offline — Reuters.
- REvil ransomware – what you need to know about the criminal enterprise — Tripwire.
- REvil ransomware rampages following Kaseya supply-chain attack — Graham Cluley.
- Meat supplier JBS probed after paying $11 million ransom to attackers. US Congress has a beef with those who pay ransoms to cybercriminals — Graham Cluley.
- Hitting the BlackMatter gang where it hurts: In the wallet — Emsisoft.
- Ransomware gang outraged at “bandit-mugging behavior of the United States” after REvil group pushed offline — Graham Cluley.
- All the ways Netflix tracks you and what you watch — Wired.
- The inside story of Bandersnatch, the weirdest Black Mirror episode yet — Wired.
- Netflix’s Secret Special Algorithm Is a Human — The New Yorker.
- Why Netflix Might Run Ads: Analysts See $1 Billion Revenue Upside — Variety.
- Devious Licks Trend — Know Your Meme.
- TikTok’s ‘devious licks’ challenge source of destruction in Summit County schools, businesses — MSN.
- TikTok Bans ‘Devious Licks’ Trend Which Saw High School Students Arrested — Newsweek.
- TikTok to be in congressional hotseat over school-trashing content — Reuters.
- Kid destroys printer for TikTok in front of his parents — Reddit.
- To combat all the devious licks, we are now met with angelic yields — TikTok.
- Woodmere Avenue Width Restriction Crashes Compilation — YouTube.
- Woodmere Avenue Crashes YouTube channel.
- Moment 11 vehicles including a police van smash into steel post in just four weeks — Daily Mail.
- Jon Richardson & The Futurenauts podcast.
- Dead Air podcast.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)