Microsoft gives us a Patch Tuesday shock, malware grows up for the Mac, and your mouse movements might reveal if you're an identity thief.
All this and more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by special guest Javvad Malik of AlienVault.
Remember: Subscribe on iTunes or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
- June 2017 security update release — Microsoft reveals it is releasing security updates for older versions of Windows that are no longer officially supported.
- Microsoft security advisory — Guidance related to June 2017 security update release.
- Microsoft security advisory - guidance for older platforms
- MacSpy: OS X RAT as a Service — Information from experts at AlienVault on the MacOS malware-as-a-service threat.
- MacRansom: Offered as Ransomware as a Service — Fortinet's analysis of MacRansom.
- Identity theft can be thwarted by artificial intelligence analysis of a user's mouse movements — Your mouse movements can indicate whether you're lying.
- The detection of faked identity using unexpected questions and mouse dynamics — Check out the technical paper by Monaro, Gamberini and Sartori.
- Rude security video from Javvad Malik — Why spend thousands on complex and innovative security awareness activities, when all you need to do, is train your staff to be rude.
- Divide and conquer: How Microsoft researchers used AI to master Ms. Pac-Man - Next at Microsoft — Microsoft's researchers have been busy...
- Video of Microsoft's Ms Pac Man-playing AI.
- Max Hawkins's website — "For the past two years I’ve been letting randomized computer programs decide what I do."
- Eager To Burst His Own Bubble, A Techie Made Apps To Randomize His Life — NPR take a look at the odd lifestyle of Max Hawkins.
- The Dice Man — 1971 novel by Luke Rhinehart.
- Logitech finally finds a good use for wireless charging: A mouse pad — Would you buy one of these? Seriously?