What is Kaspersky's ugly ring for? Is there something suspicious about how NordVPN lets you stream Disney+? And why did a hacker impersonate a music producer?
Plus we have a bonus feature interview with Rachael Stockton from Logmein, the folks behind LastPass, all about behavioral biometrics!
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/157 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Remember: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
- "Eau de Eugene Kaspersky" — Smashing Security, episode 12.
- Kaspersky Labs - Packin' The K — YouTube.
- Thousands of taxpayers tell HMRC to delete voiceprint data it stored without consent — Graham Cluley.
- Hackers Have Stolen Almost Six Million US Government Fingerprints — Tripwire.
- Fingerprints are not the same as passwords — Graham Cluley.
- Face/Off trailer — YouTube.
- Picture of the (rather ugly) Kaspersky ring — Twitter.
- Kasperky's synthetic fingerprint ring — YouTube.
- This Ring Uses a Fake Fingerprint to Protect Your Biometric Data — PC Magazine.
- How is NordVPN unblocking Disney+? It might be through YOUR own computer. Even if you’ve never used Disney+ or NordVPN. — Derek Johnson.
- The Rise of “Bulletproof” Residential Networks — Krebs on Security.
- SmartPlay by NordVPN: What is it and how does it work? — NordVPN.
- Resident Evil: Understanding Residential IP Proxy as a Dark Service — XiangHang Mi.
- Alleged Music Hacker Indicted for Impersonating a Producer to Steal Unreleased Music — Hollywood Reporter.
- Hacker stole unreleased music and then tried to frame someone else — ZDNet.
- Manhattan U.S. Attorney Announces Charges Against Austin Man For Computer Hacking And Fraud Scheme To Steal Unreleased Music From Music Industry Professionals — Department of Justice.
- Why the f**k was I breached?
- President Nixon Never Actually Gave This Apollo 11 Disaster Speech. MIT Brought It To Life To Illustrate Power Of Deepfakes — WBUR News.
- Which Classic Toy Came First? — Mental Floss.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)